Ethnava chikankari White Cotton Saree
- We, at Ethnava, try to fuse craft of traditionalism with the modernity of fashion as well. While also adopting the ever-evolving modernity of fashion in the cut, style and make of our product we don’t waver from the roots of Chikankari. We aim to provide you with a chikan kurta that denotes elegance with style as well as comfort.
- This gorgeous ethnic white chikan saree has been created with perfection using green cotton thread on cotton cloth, creating detailed floral patterns and motifs on the fabric. Intricate chikan stitch “Ulta Bakhiya” has been used to adorn the fabric of the lucknow saree.
- Originated in the Mughal Era, it is one of the popular stitching techniques of Lucknowi Chikankari. Ulti Bakhiya is crisscrossing of thread work on fabric- a reverse of shadow work. It gives the look as if the embroidery is itself the texture of the garment.
- Bakhiya or ‘shadow work’ is actually one of the most creative and unique forms of embroidery contained in Chikankari. In this stitch the filling is done on the wrong side while the design is bounded by a running stitch on the right side of the fabric to give it a neat look, since the stitch is made on the reverse side of the fabric, resembling the herringbone stitch. It brings out the vastness of this craft. Not only does Chikankari come alive in the form of embroidery on the face of a fabric, but it also embraces the fabric from below to create a shadow which fills up patterns. This stitch is one of the many tributes to the wholesomeness of Chikankari!
Add on to the saree
It can be worn with puff-sleeved blouses, crop tops, or a bell-sleeved blouse. It can also be fashioned with a contemporary version of ‘Dhoti’, and worn as the trendy half-saree. It can also be paired with a belt to give you that coveted mix of old and new! As the embroidery of Chikankari is detailed and heavy, it does well to lose excessive jewellery. A simple oversized or minimal pair of earrings shall suffice to complement the ensemble. The look can be topped off with an elegant watch or bracelet, to give the finishing touches.
- SKU of Lucknowi saree: Parul
- Style: Saree
- Color of Chikankari saree: White
- Length of Chikan saree: 6.25 meters
- Touch & Feel: Soft and comfortable chikankari saree
- Fabric : Cotton
- Thread: Cotton thread
- Embroidery: Ulta Bakhiya
Chikan designs have also been inspired from various other Mughal architecture with floral design. The most probable explanation which has historical backing reveals that the Chikan craft originated in West Bengal where the work meant ‘fine’. They had very fine local muslins made into garments for themselves, which the ladies embroidered with the Chikanwork of exquisite delicacy and beauty. The benevolent rulers of Awadh patronized the artisans and encouraged their craftsmanship and the affluence and extravagance of later Awadh rulers seems to have attracted their enchanting craft to their capital of Lucknow.
Disclaimer: Our products are hand embroidered by expert artisans and may have slight dissimilarities that are a natural outcome of the human involvement in the process. These minor variations of Stitches/Motifs add to its charm and ensure you have a unique product.